- You agree to care for the diapers according to the specific instructions provided - if you ever have any questions or trouble with your diapers please contact us so that we can help you troubleshoot and prevent any damage occurring to the diapers.
- You agree to use only cloth diaper safe/recommended detergents - please read our wash & care instructions in our tutorial for detergent recommendations. If there is some other type of detergent you would like to use please contact us for approval first.
- You will not use fabric softeners (or detergents containing fabric softener such as Dreft), bleach, stain sticks, etc. (The best remedy for stain removal is the sun! Simply put your clean but damp diapers out to dry with the stains facing the sun.)
- You agree to use only cloth diaper safe rash creams and/or sprays (such as Kissaluvs Diaper Lotion Potion or CJ's BUTTer). If your son will be circumcised CJ's BUTTer also promotes healing and provides a non-stick barrier. If you choose to use any other type of ointment or cream you must use a liner or barrier - this can be a flushable or washable liner, or even a baby washcloth. If you choose a fleece liner or washcloth please handwash them in a recommended detergent or with original blue dawn dish soap separately from your diapers.
- Only non-smoking homes are eligible for this program, so by agreeing to the terms you are giving us assurance that no member of your household smokes. We're sorry for any inconvenience, but there are no exceptions to this, including outdoor smokers. If your diapers are returned smelling of smoke (or odor-masking substances such as febreeze) they will be considered damaged and you will be responsible for the full retail value of those items.
- You will not hold Modern Cloth LLC liable for any consequence that may occur in the use of these diapers.
- You understand that if you choose 'gently used' products that the diapers have been previously worn by one or more other babies. All trial program returns are thoroughly inspected then put through a soaking & stripping procedure before being added to the gently used inventory for re-sale. We will not send you diapers that we would not be willing to put on our own child.
- Likewise, they are required to be returned to us clean, dry, and in good condition. Good condition means that the diapers have been washed & worn and will show signs of such, but will be fully functional. Very light staining due to normal use will be acceptable (though we ask that you take steps to remove them). However, stains or marks of any other kind, including those from non-approved rash creams, will not be acceptable. Diapers must also be free of pet or human hair and odors. If they are returned in an unacceptable condition or are considered damaged (even if it was accidental) no refund or credit will be issued and the diapers will be returned to you at your expense.
- You agree to return the diapers to us on time. This means the return shipment package will be postmarked within 3 days after your trial period end date. top
I am expecting...when should I order my trial program? You can order your package as far ahead of your estimated due date as you like – so you can check cloth diapers off your list and that's one less thing you have to think about as you’re preparing for your new arrival! You'll simply need to enter your estimated due date on your order and we’ll ship your diapers to you so they'll arrive approximately 2 weeks prior to that date. Please keep in mind that your payment must be submitted with your order, even if it won't be shipped to you for several more months. If you are purchasing other items in addition to your trial package they will not be shipped until your trial diapers are shipped. If you would prefer to have them shipped now then please place a separate order for those items. To ensure your diapers arrive within this time frame of 2 weeks out please be sure order your trial program at least 3 weeks ahead of your estimated due date. If your order is placed with less time than that we will do our best to get the diapers to you before your due date, but will make no guarantees. What if your baby decides to come a little early? No problem! Just contact us and we will get your shipment out as soon as we possibly can! top
What if I don’t want to start using them right away with my newborn? Or what if my baby is ‘late’ and arrives after my due date? We know that babies don’t conform to anyone else’s schedule! We also understand that having a newborn can be an overwhelming experience in the early days and you may simply want to take a little time getting to know the newest member of your family before embarking on your journey with cloth. So, if you want to wait a few days to start your trial period, that’s no problem! With a newborn trial program, we simply ask that your start date be within a week after your baby's birth. top
How much is shipping? There is a $2.95 shipping fee for all trial packages, unless you opt for free local order pick up. You will be responsible for return shipping on Trial packages.
Your package will be shipped via USPS Priority Mail, and optional insurance may be purchased during checkout. Once a package has shipped we are not responsible for its delivery - therefore insuring your shipment is highly recommended. All items will be sent with delivery confirmation or tracking number. You will also be responsible for the return shipping cost, which will vary based on the number of diapers you’ll be returning – and of course we also highly recommend insuring your return shipment. You may ship them back to us via the least expensive shipping option available to you (generally speaking, the USPS will be the least expensive). We do, however, provide you with a return address label and we ship them to you using a really nifty biodegradable bag with a second adhesive closure so you can re-use it to send them back to us! top
What happens if the diapers I return are stained? What if I lose or accidentally damage a diaper? Light staining due to normal use will be acceptable. However, we would prefer that you try to minimize staining by using a diaper sprayer or flushable liners, and to remove them by sunning the diapers after washing. Please be sure to follow the full pre-washing, washing, and care instructions that are included with your trial program shipment. You must use only cloth diaper safe/recommended detergents, no diaper rash creams (unless they are cloth diaper safe or you use a liner/barrier), no fabric softeners, etc. If your diapers have stains on them from diaper rash creams or they show signs of having been improperly cared for they will be considered damaged.
Diapers must be returned clean, stink-free, and absolutely dry. It is not acceptable to return items that have pet hair, are dirty/soiled, damp, have stains/marks of any kind, or odors of any kind, including smoke. If we receive items that are not in acceptable condition no refund or credit will be issued and they will be returned to you at your expense. You will also be held responsible for lost or accidentally damaged diapers and we will simply treat this situation as if you decided to keep the diapers. If you have any questions at all throughout your trial program please contact us – we’ll be happy to help! top
How long do I have to return the diapers when my trial ends? What if I want to keep them? Please have your trial package return shipment postmarked within 3 days after your end date. If you decide you’d like to keep some of the diapers, please do! You simply need to return the ones you don’t want. Once we receive your shipment your package will be processed within 3 business days. If you decide you’d like to keep them all then your trial fee will be waived! Simply send us an email and we'll issue you a $5 store credit and free shipping on your next order! top
Do I get a refund or store credit? It’s your choice!
You'll have the option for 100% store credit + free shipping on your next order, 100% reverse store credit* with free shipping, or a 90% refund via PayPal, based on the value of your returned items. Please note, gift certificates and coupons will be refunded/applied prior to any other form of payment.
*Reverse store credit: Don’t want to have to
spend any time without diapers? Simply
place a new order about a week before your trial end date and enter a note
stating that you’re electing for reverse store credit on your trial
package. You can wait until you receive
the new diapers before sending your trial package returns back to us. Once we receive your shipment we will treat
it as store credit (so you get 100% value for the items you’re returning) and
we’ll simply apply it as a refund against the payment you made on the new
order, as well as any shipping fees you may have paid! top
Can I apply a gift certificate or coupon toward the purchase of a trial package? You may use gift certificates and coupons toward purchasing a trial package, but please note these methods of payment will be refunded/credited prior to any other form of payment if you decide to return any of the diapers.
How much is the trial fee? There is a $5 trial fee to participate in the trial program. Then you are simply paying the retail price of the items you purchase for your trial package.
You'll have the option for a 90% refund via PayPal or 100% store credit + free shipping, based on the value of your returned items.
If you decide you’d like to keep them all then your trial fee will be waived! Simply send us an email and we'll issue you a $5 store credit and free shipping on your next order! top
How many diapers are included in the trial? Will I be able to use cloth full-time during my trial period? With our customizable trial program you may choose as few or as many diapers as you like. Please note, only one of each product will be eligible to be included in your trial. If you choose multiples of the same product and wish to return them then only one is treated as a trial package item and the rest will fall under our normal returns policy. If you want to cloth diaper full-time using this program, please be sure to add the appropriate number of diapers to your package. You can figure that for a newborn you'll be changing about 12 diapers a day. From 6 months to 1 year old you'll need 8-10 diapers a day, and for 1 year and older about 4-8 per day. top
What accessories will I need in addition to the diapers in the trial program? There are two 'must haves' that we recommend for cloth diapering. The first is a dirty diaper storage system - we suggest a diaper pail (or lidded trash can) with a pail liner, or a wet bag of some sort. The second is detergent - please see our wash & care instructions page in our cloth diaper tutorial for more details and brand recommendations.
There are a few other items we highly recommend - Cloth wipes are an easy & economical alternative to disposable wipes. We simply dampen ours with plain old water and store them in our wipe warmer! Once they're used you simply toss them in the wash with your diapers - you're already doing the laundry, so no extra work there. Plus they're useful in all kinds of other ways - use as wash cloths, burp cloths, tuck at baby's neck for an instant bib, excellent as travelling towels, use to clean up eating messes, drooling mouths, and almost anything else you can think of!
Most cloth diapering parents find their diaper sprayer to be invaluable, especially when baby is younger and their solids are not really so 'solid', if you get our drift! This may or may not be something you want to invest in at this stage - if you're doing a trial because you're simply trying to decide what kind of cloth diapers to use it's probably a good idea to go ahead & get one. On the other hand, if you're doing the trial because you are trying to decide whether or not to cloth diaper at all, you may want to hold off...until after you fall in love with cloth! Flushable liners are also a great alternative or complement to your sprayer for clean-up. top
What’s the catch? There’s no catch – we promise! Our mission is simply to spread the word about just how far modern cloth diapers have come! We feel confident that most people, if given a low-risk opportunity to try cloth for themselves, will see that using today’s cloth diapers can be easy and convenient – and yes, even fun!
We also realize that while modern cloth diapers are a great blessing, they can also be a double-edged sword in that there are SO many options available now that it can make taking that first step a little overwhelming. While cloth diapering is definitely less expensive than disposables in the long run, the up-front cost is generally higher – and you’d hate to make that investment just to find out that the diapers you chose don’t work for your family! The trial program is a perfect way for you to try out a variety of styles and brands and decide through experience what will work best for you. top
What do you do with the returned diapers? One of the great things about modern cloth diapers is that they are made of such high quality materials that most of them are still functional and retain a resale value even after they’ve been worn full-time by 1 (or sometimes even 2 or more!) children for the full fit range of the diaper – so for a one-size diaper that’s from birth through potty training! The diapers used in our trial programs, having only been used for 3 weeks or less, are typically in excellent or very good condition and will simply be sold in the Gently Used section of our store - if you are open to gently used products you will save an average of 10-20% on those items! The fact that they were returned does not mean there is anything ‘wrong’ with the diaper – not every diaper style or brand is right for every family. Some people love their FuzziBunz, while others swear by their bumGenius’, it's all just a matter of preference – and our gently used section is a great way for you to scoop up some of your faves at a great price! If we're out of stock on your favorites, then simply add yourself to the waiting list for any of the diapers in this section to be notified when more become available! top